THE ULTIMATE #KMARTHACK CREATED WITH RYOBI ONE+ TOOLS
I’ve managed to transform the "absolute ordinary" into a luxe, lush, velvet look statement piece. An ultimate Kmart Hack- using my Ryobi One+ tools, and a Kmart Doona cover.
Our pre-existing Ottoman has always been a great storage option, and more recently toy storage for the larger plush toy items. It is 5 years old, and it no longer suited our style/decor, but was still in excellent condition- so I have been waiting to get stuck into transforming it! With this up-cycle, it has made for the ultimate Toy storage and seating for our Playroom!
If you are ready to give it a go, here is the low down so you can DIY!
Materials you will need:
- Ottoman or storage box:
(Pre-existing or new) I have found some great options as per the links below, if you don't already have one in your possession that you can transform.
- BIG W (this one you could really only use as toy storage and you would only need to use the Ryobi ONE+ Hot Glue Gun to put the fabric on as it seems quite thin)
- Fabric. I opted for the Marcel Quilt Cover Set (Size Double) from Kmart. A cheap alternate is to use an old doona cover or grabbing something new- saves buying fabric by the metre! I was able to cover our sizeable large Ottoman for a mere $32! and I also now have 2 x spare pillow cases! It also comes in various colours!
The ‘How To’ (step-by-step instructions):
- Measure out the area you will need to cover, and grab your doona cover or fabric of choice!
2. I didn't have enough for length (even the King size wasn't long enough), but utilised two pieces to wrap around the bottom half. If you have a join, ensure you choose a hemmed edge to finish off so it looks tidy. Just like this pic below! No sewing needed.
3. Get to cutting out the fabric you need for the pieces you need to cover
4.Start by laying your items face down onto the fabric. Start stapling with the Ryobi ONE+ Crown Stapler to secure the fabric on, and make sure you pull tight! The last thing you want is creases in your fabric. Work your way around until all secure.
5. Once you have finished stapling, trim the excess fabric
6.Grab your Ryobi One+ Hot Glue Gun and tidy and seal the edges of the fabric onto the item. This will avoid any lifting or fraying of edges.
7. If required add some extra staples to secure any loose areas
8. FINISHED! This is such a great and affordable way to up-cycle your furniture!
This project is very easy and affordable, a great start up DIY project for any DIY beginner! The Ryobi ONE+ range really is so easy to use!
This has been a sponsored Collaboration project with Ryobi. All photography and content creation related to this project are my own, and I only endorse brands and products I love to work with.
Ryobi are exclusive to Bunnings Australia and New Zealand, and have an extensive range of over 70 tools in the ONE+ range. Ryobi is so confident in their ONE+ range of tools,that they back them with a 6 year replacement warranty. *6 year warranty applies to cordless products registered at www.ryobi.com.au. Batteries and chargers have a 3 year warranty only. Corded tools have a 4 year warranty.
Until next time...