GARLIC PRAWNS & CUMIN CALAMARI
I am excited to bring you two of my favourite seafood recipes that the family also loves! I recently made this for Good Friday lunch and was the most perfect meal. I honestly don't know why I don't make it more often! It is an easy and delicious meal, with minimal prep and makes for a perfect entertaining dish also!
2 garlic cloves grated/crushed
Good dash of olive oil
Pepper and salt and or chilli flakes
500g prawns (Fresh green prawns peeled with tails only)
Knob of unsalted butter
2 garlic cloves crushed/grated
1/2 cup vegeta stock
Pure Cream - 300ml carton
Handful of finely grated parmesan
Shallots to serve
Optional: A teaspoon of Mustard powder
1 Squid tube
1 Lemon - juice squeezed
2 Garlic cloves crushed/grated
1 tsp salt
1.5 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp white pepper
Good dash of olive oil
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt.
Olive oil to fry
- In a bowl marinate prawns with 2 garlic cloves grated/crushed, good dash of olive oil, pepper and salt and or chilli flakes.
- Melt a knob of butter and cook prawns for a few minutes until they change to a red colour. Transfer to a bowl and cover with a plate
- Melt another knob of butter in same saucepan, add a couple of crushed garlic, once slightly golden add a good splash of white wine and cook it off until it no longer smells like wine. Add 1/2 cup vegeta stock and let simmer until reduced down. Add a small carton of pure cream and cook on low allowing to reduce and thicken, stirring occasionally. Add a handful of grated parmesan and return prawns to pan for approx 5 min until cooked through and sauce thickened. Salt if needed
- Top with fresh shallots and serve with rice
First you need to tenderise the calamari. Cut squid tube into strips. Place in a bowl and allow to sit covered in milk for a few hours in the fridge. Cover bowl with a plate or cling film
- After a few hours, place calamari in a colander and allow calamari to drain.
In a separate bowl, add marinade ingredients of garlic, lemon juice, salt, cumin pepper and oil. Add calamari and toss to coat.
Heat oil in frying pan.
Whilst heating oil (Oil is ready if it bubbles when you poke a wooden skewer or wooden spoon end into the oil) make batter and toss calamari into mixture. Shake off excess flour and place in a plate
Fry in frypan. Do not over crowd. Cook until lightly golden. Approx 1 to 2 min each side
- Serve with fresh lemon and or tartare